With the dehumidifier on the fritz and not doing and dehumidifying I thought I might as well look and see if I can get it to work by opening it up and taking a look around. Since it’s doing zero I can’t be any worse off if I break the dang thing.
As I opened it up I remembered that it was a real pain in the neck when we first bought it. In order to convert it from a bucket filler to draining into the sump pump I needed to really kludge something together. It was so bad, in fact, that I brought it back to the store and showed the salesman that this thing is very poorly designed. Unfortunately the salesman was just that, a salesman and not an engineer, and his reaction was along the lines of “golly that DOES stink.”
The good news is that by opening it so many times I knew that the covers come off easy as pie. And they did. I removed the back and front panels, and then the outside chassis cover. It was easy, just like opening a computer.
The guides on dehumidifier repair that I found all spoke of cleaning the fan, the condenser coils, and the vent fins. The condenser coils are deeper inside the box and so for now I’m leaving them. The vent fins were dusty, but not crazy dusty. The fan is one of the enclosed cylinder types–better than the fans with the four blades like the one you used in your college dorm to ease the extreme heat. I must say they looked fairly clean, but just in case I vacuumed the vent fins, making sure not to bend them. They’re those foil bits that are arranged like so many thin plated on their sides. You see these fins bent in so many windows in New York City, or outside the high school where the kids’ anger takes itself out on whatever they can reach.
I set it up in the least used room in the house (the dining room, match) and it is running, coverless, with the hose removed. I heard the condenser kick in but it will have to be seen if the bucket actually collecets anything. The indoor/outdoor thermometer in that room says 78% humidity at 12:30. Now we wait.