After months of no rain we got a lot this weekend, which also meant we got our first test run of the new gutter. Well, I am happy to report that the new gutter worked but … there’s always a but, isn’t there? … but the roof line has changed in some small but apparently significant way. The water runs off the roof right before reaching the gutter, and then it runs down the side of the house and into the basement. Lovely. I called our roofing contractor and he came by today, they’ll work on it this week. I’m just glad there was no mention of additional cost.
I found out about the leak because the water set off our water alarm in the basement. After checking it out, seeing the problem and that there was nothing I could do about it right away, I settled in the kitchen to do some work. Unfortunately I could hear rain hitting the glass of the windows in a way that it’s not supposed to. So back out into the rain and this time up the ladder. The gutter was full and overflowing the sides. After switching to a taller ladder that could reach the down spout, and wrangling a hand under the gutter screen, I removed a chunk of leaves and the water went down with a loud WHOOOSH!!
It’s times like that that I appreciate how the gutter system for the house isn’t just the gutters around the edges of the roof, it extends out to where the downspouts let the water out. We have four places where the gutters come to earth: one is hidden under the forsythia where water pours off the pants and down my neck, one is hidden under the deck where I can’t see it (need to investigate that one day), one goes out to the street and one comes off the front porch.
The front porch one has a channel I made to allow the water to go down the slope into the yard, unfortunately it frequently gets clogged with leaves, but at least I know to check and clear it. The one in the street can get slowed if there are a lot of leaves in the gutters. In fact, if there is a slow down at houses even four or five down it will pool in front of our house, so yes, I’ve been out there (always at night it seems) yanking up weeds from the gutter, or chopping half-frozen snow, all to allow free flow of water away from our house.
I am optimistic that perhaps once I fix the water running down the walls of the house, once I stop the garden hose from backing water up and into the basement, we might actually have a dry basement! I fixed the leak in one corner and this one is recent so perhaps some day we won’t be taking on water.
If the basement were reasonably water tight I could paint all of the basement walls and make things somewhat brighter. Then if I could re-wire the lights so we can turn them on and off from the stairs it would almost be civilized. A girl can dream.